Military Vehicles, January 1997,: Re: Jeep Trivia

Re: Jeep Trivia

Gale Barrows (barrowsg@rapidnet.com)
Mon, 13 Jan 1997 22:03:51 -0700 (MST)

>Lida L. Bensinger wrote:
>>
>> >Does anybody out there know what the two holes in the headlight
>> >opening
>> >are for on a ww2 jeep. Is it for some winterization kit or part of
>> >the
>> >manufacturing process??
>>
>> Don't know about this but what do you want to know about USMC jeeps?
>> I have restored some.
>>
>> Daryl
>>
>> D & L Bensinger mitymite@juno.com
>> 2442 Main St.
>> Narvon, PA 17555
>> Phone/FAX (610) 286-9545
>
>Daryl
>
>I'm particularly interested in what markings the marines used on their
>jeeps during ww2. I have done some research on this, but two heads are
>better than one!!! I live in a part of the country with no Marine Base,
>so original specimens are not very common. I restored my 1944 Willys
>with marine markings by talking to a vet and using his recolections and
>what photos I could find of marine jeeps. Any feedback???

There would be two definite stops to make in a search for correct markings.
First is the local Marine Recruiter. Drive up and park in front of the
office where the recruiters can see the vehicle if possible. I can about
guarantee shortly after telling the recruiter what you need, you will have
the entire office out looking the thing over and spomebody will be helping
you find a historical section somewhere to help you. (offer to let the
vehicle appear in parades with the recruiters !!! ) They also should be able
to direct you to the next stop, the local chapter of the Marine Corps
League. These former active Marines (there ain't no such thing as an
"ex-Marine") will most likely go ape over your project, fill your ears with
wild stories, and offer you a beer. Then they will start bringing over old
timer motor pool men. Since restored vehicles are popular with MCL units, it
is my understanding they have available to them literature on proper period
markings etc.. (again, offer these folks the chance to use your vehichle in
parades. You might even get offered an invite to the next Marine Corps
Birthday Party. Only attend if you have a sturdy physical constitution with
a tolerance for large quantities of alcohol !!!)
Gale Barrows
Black Hills of South Dakota
***WETSU***