Military Vehicles, June 1997,: Re: [MV] M38A1 F-Head Engine Oil Leak

Re: [MV] M38A1 F-Head Engine Oil Leak

cliff dahl (wrcc@rapidcity.com)
Tue, 3 Jun 1997 22:35:30 -0600

----------
> From: Andrea/Michael Seils <mseils@tcsn.net>
> To: mil-veh@skylee.com
> Subject: [MV] M38A1 F-Head Engine Oil Leak
> Date: Wednesday, June 04, 1997 6:06 PM
>
> Hello all:
>
> I am new to this list and hope that some of you out there can help me
with a
> few problems I am having with my 1952 M38A1 Jeep. I just bought this
jeep
> two months ago and had the engine re-built three weeks ago. Last week i
> noticed an oil leak. It is coming out of the aft main bearing which then
> goes out the rear seal. I brought the engine back in, after playing for
two
> weeks, and the guy is going to replace all the bearings and seals again.
> Has anyone out there had this problem and know of a good fix? The
mechanic
> couldn't explain why it was leaking as he said he rebuilt it to the
specs.

> Next problem, when giving it the gas I am experiencing a hesatation. I
just
> re-built the carb, I believe off a CJ5. Is there something I am
overlooking?

> Also this is an underwater jeep, and I am looking for the snorkle gear.
> Anyone know of where I can look?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
>
> Mike
>
> mseils@tcsn.net
> Mike
>
> mseils@tcsn.net
>
> I dont drive to fast
> I fly to low
>

> ===

First, the problem with your oil leak sounds like an incorrect rear main
seal may have installed in the engine. Another possibility that was
presented on this list a few months back was an engine that had been
rebuilt without a plug installed in the block behind the back of the
camshaft. The oil was leaking down the back of the engine and appeared to
come from the rear main seal. I also can't see any need to replace the
bearings unless there is inadaquate oil pressure.
Second, it sounds as though the acelerator pump on the carb may need
adjusting.
Third, while it is true that the M38A1 is designed to be waterproof, the
carb from the CJ series jeeps were not designed to operate under water, so
you may want to consider purchasing the correct carb befor you get the
snorkle kit.

Hope this helps,

Cliff Dahl
wrcc@rapidcity.com