Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Re: [MV] Fwd: Chemical Paint Stripping

Pat Patterson (a1b01362@ultranet.ca)
Tue, 29 Jul 1997 20:30:58 -0700 (PDT)

At 11:43 AM 29/07/97 -0400, you wrote:
> We used a short, fat, electric water heater that the
>jacket had been removed from and the top of the tank torch-cut off to form a
>lid. When plugged in this heated the solution and gave a tank large enough to
>soak a small 4cyl engine block. Some problems with this is the risk of
>electrical shock (the contraption sure scared me!!) but it did clean parts.
>Perhaps one of you great fabricators could come up with something better.

Sounds fine to me, Just wasnt finished yet. The next step would
have been to replace the insulation, cut down the jacket and replace, then
some wood
'hot tub" style to make it look nice and hide sharp edges. From there I
would probably make some steps and a landing /deck to save your back, then
space and materials permitting I would make ether a jib crane off of a wall
or an A frame and beam , for lifting parts out of the stuff.

Also a nat gas water heater could be rejetted to burn propane ( you
can buy them that way also for trailers etc. ) you would have to make a lot
of adjustments to vent fumes ( in your house it vents up the middle like a
long donut ) but it would be lots cheaper than electric. and of course you
would have to observe all safty pracices re FIRE .

Cool thought tho anyone neer Surrey BC Canada want one? I'd build
one just for the fun of building it plus the cost of matterials ( ruf guess
$50 - $100 can depending on cost of used tank and desired finished app.) But
unfortunatly I have no space to put it. :(

Pat Patterson
'52 M38 CDN "Box 'o' Jeep"
'78 F150
'79 Bronco