Military-Vehicles: Re: [MV] My poor Willys is dying...

Re: [MV] My poor Willys is dying...

Dan Schultz (schultz@inficad.com)
Sun, 12 Oct 1997 22:32:39 -0700

Ira,
I was having the same problem years ago with my 1948 Willys and a new
synchro cured it! NAPA had one sitting on the shelf for $58.50. Of course
that was several years ago so the price is probably higher now! You might
even be able to get away with changing only the brass blocking rings on
your existing synchronizer and save a lot of money.

Regards,
Dan Schultz

----------
From: Ira Miller <imiller@ixi.net>
To: [MV] List <Mil-Veh@skylee.com>
Subject: [MV] My poor Willys is dying...
Date: Sunday, October 12, 1997 10:29 PM

I have gotten rather frustrated with my 1961 Willys SW lately. Everything
is starting to
go to pieces. I had to replace my brake system almost entirely because of
the
old brittle lines. But now my real problem is in the transmission. The old
T-90 is
rather worn out and is starting to jump out of second and third under heavy
loads
(like on steep grades). The old hurricane six was retired for a chevy 230cc
L6 by the
last guy who owned it so the engine is remarkably strong and in good shape.
I suspect that
it was recently rebilt before I came across it, and has rather low hours on
it.
My question is : Can the transmission be fixed, or will it need to be
replaced?
When I got the Jeep the guy said that it had recently been rebuilt along
with the transfercase.
The transmission appears to be in decent working order in side but that
isn't saying much
more than it isn't missing any teeth and isn't to terribly worn.
I love to drive my SW and I am rather proud of the looks people give me
when they see me driving around in it. It has been repainted and restored,
for the most part
by myself. I am planning on attending collage next year and I don't have a
lot of extra cash
laying around, but I would like to keep my jeep.

If anyone has any ideas let me know! I need the thing to be dependable.
About the only thing I have laying around that might be useful in the
event that I need
to make a swap would be a spare 327cc Chevy. I also know were I can get an
SM420 but
an adapter for my t-case would be rather expensive...

Ira Miller
imiller@ixi.net