Re: [MV] MV's and Non-directional snow

Jim Rice (jimrice@iamerica.net)
Thu, 15 Jan 1998 22:26:34 -0600

Don't have any real good tips other than what the Army does. Use
chains. As for good stories, once saw an M109 Howitzer coming down
motorpool road in Baumholder, FRG (for the lucky ones that have been
there!) on a icy day and hit the cobblestone at the bottom. No matter
what the driver did, the track continued to slide down and not even
change directions. Tracks spinning wildly or even locked up, it made no
difference to the 27 ton track. Of course, when it hit the bottom and
the ditch, the driver simply drove it out. About five minutes later, an
M35A2 deuce came down the same hill. With brakes locked, he began to
slide. When he let off the brakes and tried to turn, the vehicle turned,
but continued in the same direction of travel. Of course, when he hit
the ditch at the bottom, he stopped. On his side. I was glad to be
commanding Bravo battery that day. The Howitzer was mine. The truck
was Alpha battery's!

Jim Rice
Lawton, Oklahoma