Re: [MV] Authorities

jonathon (jemery@execpc.com)
Wed, 13 Jan 1999 22:23:17 -0600 (CST)

>. To further
>enlighten you--a diesel engine does not produce vacuum. A mechanical pump of
>some sort must be used to create vacuum to operate certain mechanical units
>on the vehicle. In the case of the CUCV family of vehicles, the transmission
>will not shift without a mechanical vacuum pump, which is installed where a
>gas engine would have a distributor.

What on the tranny need vacuum for it to shift.?????????

If you talking about the vacuum modulator, this is not requried for the
trany to shift it only alters at what speed it shifts at when under heavy
(heavier) acceleration. I just junked a truck with a THM400 and the
modulator was disconnected... the truck drove just fine. BTW, if you are
using a vacuum pump on a Diesel to run the modulator then there must be some
intermediate device that connects to the throttle linkage to modulate the
vacuum signal going to the vacuum modulator, this is why most Diesel's use
cable modulators.

je