[MV] 1952 M38A1 Runs Rough

From: Thomas M Mc Hugh (tmmchugh@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 17:43:11 PST

Hi List

52 M38A1 converted to 12 volt.

Help needed and will be greatly appreciated.

Not to belabor my problem, but to hope for more help.

In warm weather it started easily. Dry weather, in the high 30s to low
40s it will start without needing a choke. It takes a while to warm up
enough to rev properly. high rev causes it to miss and break up.

After warming up and idling slightly fast, it suddenly stalls. It needs
fuel to restart it but it starts easily.

While driving It spits and misses badly when under full throttle. Not
too badly if not trying full to accelerations.

It feels like the valves are bad. I have not done a compression test
yet. What is acceptable pressure ???

Points, condenser, rotor, plugs, wires & coil all have been replaced
with new parts.

I have not touched the carb yet. I have never worked on carbs. How
complete are the rebuild kits available ???

Note: Sorry about writing previously all in upper case, it just seems
easier to me.

Tom McHugh
Hackettstown
New Jersey