Re: [MV] Form 6 Holds

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 11 1999 - 00:01:29 PST

-----Original Message-----
From: Ian Wallace <iwallace@uswest.net>
To: Mil-veh@skylee.com <Mil-veh@skylee.com>
Date: 11 December 1999 05:13
Subject: [MV] Form 6 Holds

>Today (Friday, Dec. 10) I called the Treasury Department section that
>processes the Form 6 applications. I was told that armoured vehicles
>are still not being processed, but "tank parts" are being approved.

I think you'll find the BATF are in the process of an internal review and study
of the situation which is due to complete Dec 27 1999.

My guess is that proposed future policy will be made from this report and the
time for lobbying will be after this date.

Strong indications are that pressurising BATF now will at the best be nugatory
and most likely be wholly counter-productive.

Thinking laterally for a moment, it may be of concern that there is a potential
glut of reasonably modern and cheap ex-Soviet armour around, the whole picture
is not known to us presently, maybe ultimately the odd Ferret, Fox, Scorpion,
Saracen, Saladin, 432 or Tiger (if you can find one) is of little or no
concern.

Richard
(Southampton UK)