Re: [MV] Ferret Juices

From: Muttguru@aol.com
Date: Mon Dec 20 1999 - 11:09:22 PST

jimweb@SIMONIDES.PRESTEL.CO.UK writes:

<< I have not tried this and cannot (obviously) recommend it, hydraulic
mineral oil
> tastes entirely different to brake fluid. . . . . . . . . .

 When I first joined the Army back in the late 60's the old old sweats
 used to make chips [french fries to anyone else] regularly while on
 exercise. It was only after I'd had them a couple of times that I
 discovered they were using gearbox oil OC-600 [IIRC] to fry them in. I
 hadn't died so I figured what the hell.... >>

Dear Listers.......

Does anyone remember the strange paralysis outbreak that occurred in Spain in
the 1980s? Dozens of (poor) people were struck down with a strange paralysis
which defied explanation (at the time). Eventually, the source was identified
as Tricresyl Phosphate (aircraft lubricating oil) which had been purchased
from (I think) the DRMO in Spain and sold, door-to-door, in poor
neighborhoods, by unscrupulous merchants as "cooking oil".
Not long afterwards, the DRMS brought in its rules about the selling of
"paints, dopes and related products"..... which laid down new ground rules
for the inspection and certification of potential purchasers of such material
from the DRMS.
If you must fry your chips etc.... make sure its (non-GMO) sunflower oil !!!!

Ken