Re: [MV] New Blazer problem

From: Richard Notton (Richard@fv623.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Dec 02 2000 - 13:24:33 PST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Stuart Ellis" <stuellis@mediaone.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 02, 2000 7:48 PM
Subject: [MV] New Blazer problem

> Replaced bendix around a month ago because of loud sound starter would
make
> while trying to start that I was told was bad Bendix. . . . . . . . .Drove
it home and
> tried starting in the driveway and it took twice, making the same sound
the
> first time and started the second time after normal cranking sound.
> Any ideas what could be wrong now?

Yup.

The Bendix gear is on the starter shaft itself and they rarely give much
trouble, what does wear is the ring gear that is shrunk onto the flywheel.
The engine will naturally stop in probably only a few positions, especially
a diesel with huge compressions, and these teeth of the relatively soft
ring gear will get hammered.

Cheat method (after taking off/out whatever you need to get the flywheel off
!), just drill a large hole between the ring gear teeth and not deep enough
to mark the flywheel than split it with a cold chisel.

Put the new ring gear in a hot oven, gas mark 9/240 C/475 F for at least an
hour (even hotter is better), put the flywheel in the deep-freeze overnight
or longer.

Be aware of the orientation on the ring gear, they often have a lead on the
tooth face that faces the starter bendix gear. Get the flywheel near the
oven, have a hammer handy (better yet have two people with hammers handy),
whip the ring gear out and instantly pop it on the flywheel (the right way
round) and encourage it to seat on its land by judicious hammer blows VERY
QUICKLY if not sooner.

If it gets cocked and temps stabilise you'll be splitting it off and getting
another.

Richard
Southampton - England