Re: [MV] removing rear axle shafts

From: Richard C. Burrell (miltrkr@concentric.net)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 19:50:32 PST

Joe Shannon wrote:

> Y'all are gona have fun when you spider gears fall out of place running
> the rear without axles to keep them in place. I know this is not suppose
> to happen but it can.

Hi List
Joe i think you are in error, there is no way for the spiders to fall out as
all four spider gears are on a spider cross which fits between the side gears
there is no place for them to go. I have driven mine over 800 miles with the
axle shafts out of the #3 axle and no problems (cut the flanges off a spare
set of shafts).
by the way if you only remove one shaft this does not work right. as the
remaining shaft constantly turns the spiders and side gears. this could cause
a spider failure.
i think the reason that the military didn't spec an inter-axle differential
on these is the number one cause of differential failure on class 8 trucks is
driver error. due to engaging the inter-axle differential while the tires are
spinning this blows them up every time. i could imagine what a young private
would do if he encounter wheel spin .....click .......boom ! just a few
thoughts from a heavy truck mechanic
Richard Burrell
MVPA #20227
MVCC