JACK TOMLIN

From: Eugene PANTANO (truks@cs.quik.com)
Date: Wed Mar 14 2001 - 22:03:09 PST

Here we go again.....the note below is from a concerned friend of Jack
Tomlin. As many of you know, Jack has been an asset to the MV Collecting
fraternity for many years. He has had many of his vehicles and other items
in many movies..he is a very dedicated American. His sole goal is to
preserve US Military Historical items so that our grandchildren will be able
to enjoy them. He is "far" from a terrorist !! As the BATF is trying to make
him look...THEY are the terrorists!! Jack needs help..he needs everyone
that has ever heard of him to write a letter on his behalf..stating that he
is a dedicated MV and American Historian with the one aim of preserving
these Military for all to see..He is starting a very large Military Vehicle
Museum in Utah for all to enjoy. He is not a "nut"... I only met Jack one
time at the KC Show..but he impressed me as just a plain OD lover..not any
sort of "crazed" person as the BATF would have all believe. Shoot a letter
to Jack's home in Utah...At the moment, I do not have that address... I will
get it and post it later.. Gene
Here is what I received..
think it was the fuel that got him in trouble ...that and the fact that the
guy
that gave him a whole trailer full of stuff forgot to give him a manifest
for it
and apparently THAT guy was being staked out for various reasons. They had
the
CIA, the FBI, the ATF, DOT, The Sheriff's Dept, State Highway Patrol,
everybody
who was ANYbody was there and after 2 hours of trying to figure out what he
had...they didn't even know what alot of it was (because it was WWII stuff),
they finally arrested him and charged him with 2 felony counts. They
were going to let him go in the first place but this one Fed wanted to make
case out of it...he was a rookie. We're getting all the people from his
area to
write letters for him....telling who they are, what their background and/or
business is, how they know Jack, what he has done for them or for the
community
and with a plea that we know he made a mistake in transporting his material
for
the museum incorrectly but that the justice system realize what a good
citizen
they are putting away and hope that they would reconsider. .but if you knew
Jack at all, you'd realize how
excited he must have been to have gotten these things and just simply wasn't
paying attention to the fine details. You might could mention that Jack IS
NOT
a terrorist as he has been accused of being, rather the case is that he is a
very dedicated individual with military expertise and knowledge of WWII
that is
beyond anyone's capacity to realize and people come from these meets all
over
the whole world to talk to him and he is invited all over the world to
attend
these militaria meets, whether it to be to sponsor...or whatever, you can
figure
it out. He has all the licenses to deal with this
stuff, it was just a unfortunate thing that he got caught transporting
incorrectly without the papers on him, etc.