Re: [MV] Axle Nut socket?? for a 5 tonner - M54

From: DaveCole (davidcole@tk7.net)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 09:01:21 PDT

I rechecked them. The one manual (I have a couple different ones) says 50 ft
lbs on the inner spindle nut, then back off 1/4 to 1/3 turn (to adjust the
bearing), then on the outer spindle lock nut (that's what I'm talking about),
torque that to 325 ft-lb +- 75 ft-lb. That is the procedure that I attempted
to follow. The other manual I have says snug up inner nut, then back off 1/8
turn, then install outer lock nut and tighten. No torque spec specified.
Hmmmm.. Perhaps large channelocks with my 240 lbs hanging on the end is
sufficiently close. After all I did remove the locknut with the channelocks
also! I just get a bit paranoid when I think of my wheel taking off in a
different direction than the truck. Has anyone ever lost a wheel off a 2 1/2
ton or 5 ton?

For the lug nuts they say 450-500 ft-lb of torque on all nuts. Mine were at
least that tight as I had to use a 1" impact wrench to get the rear nuts off,
and the wrench was working!

Dave