Re: [MV] Urban legends-buried equipment

From: Colin Stevens (colin@pacdat.net)
Date: Wed Jul 18 2001 - 20:49:47 PDT

Giving away secrets of the US Army secret energy food, and revealing the
secret US stockpiling for a return under the next generation of President
Bush to take on Saddam again? ;-)

Locally in British Columbia, Canada some German made small portable army
two-way radios turned up that a US elite unit was told to dispose of by
burying at the end of the 1991 Gulf War (which included: Operations Desert
Shield and Desert Storm AND Operation Granby AND Operation Friction etc.).
Someone brought them back instead. They went to appreciative homes. :-)

Locally, in Burnaby, British Columbia, on Still Creek Road is Patrick
Equipment. In the 1960s (?) they bought a whole trainload of T17E1
"Staghound" armoured cars (NEAT vehicles!) that really do look like tanks
on wheels so are road legal. After stripping off running gear to make
EXPENSIVE logging equipment, they apparently buried the hulls, turrets,
cannons etc. I have seen photos of the train enroute to Patrick Equipment,
have a photo from the newspaper of two of the Staghounds sitting there with
DND numbers and 37 mm guns clearly visible, and saw stacks of big army
wheels in the late 1980s. Local fellows such as Ian Newby actually saw the
vehicles and know where they are buried - under the parking lot.

I also hope to follow up some day on a lead about a buried Ram tank
(Canadian predecessor of the Sherman which copied many of its features, but
went for a bigger turret ring and bigger gun.).

I've been thinking... what if we HMV types teamed up with the
environmentalists and went in and removed these buried items and billed the
guilty party for the labour to clean up the sites? :-)

Colin Macgregor Stevens
MVPA Member 954 (since 1977)
Editor: "Maple Leaf Up!" newsletter & Webmaster
of Western Command Military Vehicle Historical Society
(Established 1977)
Pitt Meadows (East of Vancouver but not beyond Hope)
British Columbia, CANADA
Owner of:
1944 Willys MB jeep (ex-Norway)
1942 BSA airborne bicycle
1943 Ford GPA amphibious jeep (unrestored, modified for world travel by
Lionel Forge in the late 1950s-1960s)
Personal web site: http://bcoy1cpb.pacdat.net
E-mail: colin@pacdat.net
Club web site: http://www.westerncommand.com