Re: [MV] M-37 ignition troubleshooting

From: m35products (m35prod@optonline.net)
Date: Wed Mar 19 2003 - 17:10:45 PST

There are many ways in which high-tension ignitions can fail. Some of the
things to do are:

Remove and thoroughly clean the outside and INSIDE of the distributor cap.
Spray with an ignition-drying chemical from an auto parts store. Sometimes
an invisible crack will retain dirt and moisture, short-circuiting the spark
energy. Also, (don't laugh) run the engine in the dark, while observing all
the wires and distributor. Often you will see a spark jumping where it
shouldn't be jumping.

Have you replaced all the plugs and wires? Are there loose connections,
either low or high tension, such as the positive and ground wires to the
coil? Does it happen only when the engine is hot? Could be a coil that is
marginal. Does it happen only under load? Your timing might be off. It's
not easy to find any electrical problem, but with an orderly process of
checking each link in the chain, you will find the problem.

Arthur

www.M35products.com