Re: [MV] De-carboning old timers trick

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Tue May 04 2004 - 10:17:03 PDT

I've always used straight H2O. I first did this about '70 on my Dads ill
running 350 Chevy that was burning oil due to - you guessed it - worn valve
guides - the curse of the old 350 Chevy.

Just get a bunch of water and while the engine is running - "drizzle it" <<-
-- Technical term that I forgot about until just now - into the engine.
Have one hand on the throttle and the other holding the can, bottle,
whatever..

Just pour it in as much as possible while not stalling the engine. I have
run a couple of gallons through an engine in 20 minutes or so. It does
work. The water turns to steam in the cylinders and basically steam cleans
the inside of the combustion chambers. Stuff even flew out the exhaust
pipe of that old 350 Chevy it was so carboned up.

Any drinkable water will do. I was using west Detroit water at the time in
'70, so that might have been better than most. (;->)

I never did ATF, but I think it might be effective on crappy neighbors.

Dave