Re: [MV] Rust in lamp housing

From: Michael Howell, DO (michael@tsixroads.com)
Date: Sun May 16 2004 - 18:03:20 PDT

No, that is not dead metal and the rust will come back soon if it hasn't
already. You look like you or where I was about 5 years ago. I took
off a lot of small parts off of a M37 and sandblasted them in a blast
cabinet I made. I treated areas like you have with rust converter and
then primed the rest. They still look good but they are still in the
shop because it just takes so long to sandblast with hobbyist equipment
that I never got to the main part of the truck.

If you blast pitted areas like in the picture long enough and from
different angles you can get most of it shinny again but rust will creep
out of the pits if it is not treated. I would recommend priming bare
metal the same day you sandblast it. Even metal under good paint will
start to rust as soon as it is exposed to moist air.

Mike
Tishomingo, MS