RE: Battery Additive

From: Fred H. Schlesinger (fred@schlesingers.net)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 06:04:39 PST

I have been using EDTA for at least ten years.
I put it in new batteries. When I buy a vehicle, I put it in the batteries
right away. I buy it from Trailhead Supply, which is a place that sells the
stuff to people who use wind or solar power for their "big Mamoo" type
storage batteries.

It (EDTA) doesn't work in regular sealed type auto batteries, and doesn't do
much in automotive type unsealed batteries, motorcycle batteries, etc. .

It does seem to work in deep discharge marine or RV type batteries, tractor
batteries, and in the heavy duty military batteries like the 6tl types. I
think it is because they have heavier plates, so they still have meat on
them even after they are covered with sulfation.

In my RV, where I have 3 deep discharge batteries, the batteries last about
twice as long. Which means I get five or six years out of a battery. Not
long, but much better than what I used to get. I've started using deep
discharge type batteries in my non daily driver vehicles, and treating tem
all with the stuff. I also try to keep them on battery tenders. This
process seems to work for me. Battery exchange cost in all the stuff
sitting around used to kill me. Now it just maims me.

In my deuce, I'm on my 4th year. I am using one battery that was not
completely dead and came with the truck from GL. And one new one I bought at
my auto parts store last year. They charge fine. I have no problems with
the old one. When I check it under resistive load using a 1 minute test, it
puts out about 90% of what the new one puts out. The other GL battery which
I treated with EDTA lasted 3 years and eventually crapped out. Again, it
didn't ruin the other battery by sucking the charge out the way people say
they do when charged in a series circuit, because the other battery is still
working. Like I said, I replaced only one of them with the new one last
year.

I'm not too worried about breaking down because I always have Randy to pull
me back to the armory.

So there you have it. I think the stuff works.