Military Vehicles, December 1996,: Re: Military Vehicle Vendors and Parts Sources

Re: Military Vehicle Vendors and Parts Sources

rick (lathrrs@sagelink.com)
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:03:45 -0800

MAJ wrote:

> I am surprised at the number of members of this list that appear to be
> military vehicle owners/restorers and also appear to be neither members
> of the Military Vehicle Preservation Association nor subscribers to the
> Military Vehicle Magazine. I personally don't know how you could ever
> own, much less restore a vehicle without at least one of these. Both
> have important information on "how-to, etc" and sources of more
> information as well as parts.
>
> MVPA is a membership in an organization with the sole purpose of
> preserving historic military vehicles. They publish two periodicals of
> interest to anyone dealing with any military vehicle WWI to present day.
> First is Army Motors which includes only articles on military vehicles and
> such, no advertising. The second is Supply Line which deals with all
> sorts of advertising by private individuals selling, wanting to buy,
> services, etc. It also has just about every serious vendor in the military
> vehicle business, be it complete restored vehicles, vehicles for
> restoration or only parts. It also included small interesting articles.
>
> Military Vehicle Magazine is a bi-monthly publication which has military
> vehicle related articles. They include stories on museums, vehicle rallies,
> restorations, how-to tips, and interviews with different vendors. They
> also include about every imaginable ad you could ever want or need.
>
> In an attempt to answer many of the questions on "Where Can I Find...." I
> have simply lifted some information on both from their respective
> webpages. At the bottom of this message are included addresses,
> phone numbers, E-Mail addresses, and websites. Contact them to get a
> membership or subscription. I personally have both.
>
> I think this list is both informative and enjoyable, however, I don't think it
> will ever substitute for one of the above organizations. If you are
> depending on this list for where to get parts or such, you are missing out
> on the vast majority of sources. Maybe a good purpose of this list might
> be to discuss the vendors that are reputable and those that are not. We
> might all be able to help one another save a dollar by comparing known
> prices of different vendors. I know of some vendors that are much
> higher than others, but they sometimes have parts others never have.
> Some guys are simply flakes you likely don't want to deal with. I know
> I've run into a few and wish I had been forewarned. Unfortunately, it is
> after the fact that someone else has told be, "Don't bother with him, he
> will never do anything for you," or "His stuff is junk, don't buy it."
>
> I greatly enjoy this list, but I think it is time we take it to a higher level. I
> know I have gotten some really good info off the list. I am also guilty of
> asking the "Where can I get...." question myself so I am not claiming
> innocence. Its just that I don't think we have scratched the surface on
> [...]

In my personal experience I find military vehicles magazine to be the
better of the two choice. But thats my opinion.
Rick