Re: [MV] Need manuals and two pin cable for military generator

From: mblair1@home.net
Date: Wed May 31 2000 - 07:53:31 PDT

John Hutterer <john.hutterer@deltec.com> wrote:
> With reference to your search for the two pin cable. It sounds like
> the same cable that Mark Blair has been looking for for the past
> several months.

That's what I thought when I read Bryan's description. Here are
pictures of the plug on my van, and on another collector's van, for
which I'm looking for a mating connector (probably the same one that
Bryan needs), plus a couple pages of manufacturer's catalog that a
list member helpfully provided:

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/truck1/p08.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/greentruck/m44pics/p08.jpg

    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/VanPower1.jpg
    http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/tmp/VanPower2.jpg

I haven't tried contacting the manufacturer yet... so many projects
and distractions, and so little time! :-)

Bryan Rupp <ruppster@alaskalife.net> wrote:
> I should have mentioned in the first email that the electric motor
> has a tag on it stating that it could be wired for either 115 single
> phase or 230 two phase. But to wire it

A small point with a historical twist: It probably meant "single POLE"
or "two POLE"... two PHASE power is a very different beast, and to my
knowledge, was only briefly used around the Niagara Falls area in the
early 1900s. The 230V power commonly used in the US is just
single-phase 230V with a center-tap connected to ground potential,
providing either 115V with one pole neutral, or 230V with both poles
hot. 3-phase power is also used, where the three phases are each 60
degrees out of phase with the others, thus providing some nice
benefits in the design of large industrial motors, power supplies,
etc. I recall from college that two-phase power, where the two phases
are 90 degrees out of phase with each other, was briefly used around
the turn of the century, but didn't catch on.

And here I thought that power transmission course would never come in
handy! :-)

--
PGP 2.6.2 public key available from http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/
Web page: http://www.qsl.net/ke6myk/