Re: [MV] Fw: Basic M35 info

From: Paul A. Thomas (pt@jaxkneppers.com)
Date: Sat Jul 06 2002 - 12:02:40 PDT

> there seems to be disagreement on a few things and I'm looking for a
consensus.

ROFL! <g>

> 8: Is it worth the effort to convert to silicone brake fluid? (been told if
> the brakes work WELL & are dry dont touch it)

I've asked this as part of different threads 3 or 4 times in the past half
year ( apologies to the list, but the answers conflicted and changed
depending on who answered ). So I've decided to try logic instead. ( Stand
back!! ) My truck was built 50 years ago. I'm waiting for the special TM
for it ( plain M35 ) to come in... will check the TM and see whether it's
DOT3 or DOT4. Silicon was non-extant when this truck was built. Silicone
might do a better job under stress, but this old truck MIGHT see few
hundred miles in a year. As the truck was made to use DOT 3 (probably) and
to use that when working hard overseas I see no reason to upgrade it to
silicone. Nor have any list members provided reasons to do so other than
'it's the best and I like to use the best'.

> 5: Use of synthetic engine oil ( a local diesel mech. said there is no
diesel spec. synthetic ) ?

I believe the best thing synthetic oil does is to cling to pistons, etc
longer. Consumer Reports did a study of car oils on taxi cabs in NYC a
couple of years ago. They concluded synthetic oil provided no better
protection against wear than normal oil. However cabs aren't idle for long
when compared to normal autos... if the oil can cling to the parts which
need lubrication for 10 months between use instead of 4 months ( these
numbers were pulled out of ... thin air ) then IMSHO it's probably worth
the difference.

Hope you enjoy your Deuce. I had forgotten that the parts weigh a bit more
than pickup parts.. and that some of the positions and angles for mounting
things are tight/odd. I'm relearning a number of words I thought I'd lost
any use for. <G>

   Paul