Re: [MV] Looking for a M35A2--Are auction vehicles generally drivable?

From: Neil E. Amrhein (neil@compu-powr.com)
Date: Wed Jul 23 2003 - 10:15:08 PDT

Steve,
    This will probably open up a whole can of worms, so be prepared for the
flood with every possible type of response. In general, I agree with GRB's
reply.

    The drivability of any of these vehicles depends on way too many factors
to make any generalizations. However, the odds are that most of these
vehicles (if complete) will run (not necessarily *drive*) without *major*
work (i.e. engines, trans, etc..). I know many instances where a vehicle was
driven out of the DRMO. Bidding on a good vehicle, not a junker, is key to
increasing the odds that it'll be a runner. A personal inspection is
definitely required to determine if it's a good one. Having some general
mechanical automotive knowledge will help you determine what to look for to
determine if a truck might run. Experience rebuilding older vehicles is not
required, but it definitely doesn't hurt.

    Let me say (IMHO) that if you can buy runner from someone else (where
you can test drive it) for $3-$4K, DO IT. I'm not sure if you follow the
auctions, but the prices nowadays aren't any better than that for the
"better" trucks, and they still might not run. Or, the clutch may slip, the
transfer may be bad, etc.... I know of instances of all of these problems
with DRMO trucks.

    No offense is meant by this, but, generally, anyone asking this question
is probably not someone who should start out cold by buying from the
auctions. Let someone else take the risk, sell you a runner, and make a
little profit. Then, after you are intimate with that truck, you can think
about buying your next one from an auction. There is ALWAYS a next one......

    If you have good mechanical experience, and feel confident that you can
determine if a truck is a good one, then I would say go inspect a few and
bid on one. Take whatever you may need to get it running and go for it.
Worst case is you have to call a tow company.

    Just my $.02

    Hope it helps,
    --Neil