Re: [MV] towing a M35 with a 1 ton or ?

From: David Cole (DavidCole@tk7.net)
Date: Sun Feb 01 2004 - 07:35:22 PST

I've flat towed vehicles several times and I don't like it at all. It can
be done, but sometimes the towed vehicle doesn't want to turn if it's front
tire hits a rock and turns the other way, and backing up is nearly
impossible. Even the military puts pretty strict speed limits on flat
towing trucks. IMO, when flat towing the two vehicle needs to be as big or
bigger than the towed vehicle. This is due to the fact that when the towed
vehicle gets out of control - ie the tires go the wrong way - the towing
vehicle can have enough brute force to drag the towed vehicle where ever it
needs to go, even if the towed vehicles tires are not in line.

I have a 5 ton tag trailer and I have rented several times a MacLander 30
foot gooseneck with an elevating dove tail, loading legs. I much prefer
the gooseneck. The trailer is rated for 30K lbs and is a tandem dual axle
setup. I have to say it is the nicest trailer I have ever pulled. I had
my M51 5 ton truck on it with other parts (approximately 24,000 lbs) and
it pulled like a dream. The trailer tires looked like they could take
another 10K lbs no problem. With the gooseneck you can turn it around in
less than the length of the trailer and truck combined.

I think the ideal vehicle trailering setup would be, a MacLander gooseneck
with a heavy tow vehicle such as a Ford F550 Super Duty Diesel, or a used
Semi tractor turned RV (get a big sleeper) with the 5th wheel removed and a
ball installed. (Again to avoid the DOT cops).

Just my opinion.

Dave

--
Dave