Re: [MV] Vendor's take advantage on Ebay

From: JTravis (dagobert@ix.netcom.com)
Date: Wed Nov 17 2004 - 17:52:01 PST

candlewickjeep2@webtv.net wrote:

>Another thing that's really small potatoes, but still an aggravation is
>getting price gouged on handling charges by ebay sellers. I buy a
>fairly good bit of MV stuff on Ebay and that's a real annoyance to me.
>
>Mike

Yeah, but by that same token, if you go to sell something on eBay and
you set the opening bid low, then one person bids and gets it for less
than you paid for it, are you really going to be motivated to spend any
time or extra money packaging it properly, just so you can eat even more
loss? Besides, either way, you usually end up paying the extra in the
end. Either it gets itemized for the expense of the packing and
shipping, or the item gets marked up that much more on the
opening/reserve price. Fed Ex doesn't carry it for free, and unless God
is going to miracle it to your doorstep, someone has to cover the cost
of getting it there. On my own auctions, I usually itemize it out and
charge what my shipper charges me, or give the buyer the opinion of just
picking it up in person. If they live in the area, that's fine with me,
as I don't mark up the shipping and packing costs for profit, but if
they don't want to pay to drive 500 miles or more to pick up their item,
why should I want to pay someone else to send it to them out of my
pocket, either? As long as the seller is up-front and honest about it,
I don't feel I have to beat them out of the shipping too on something
that I already got a bargain on from them at auction. But that's just
me; your mileage may vary.
Jay