Re: [MV] Mosquito vs. B-17G

From: Geoff Winnington-Ball (gwball@sympatico.ca)
Date: Sun May 06 2001 - 12:10:12 PDT

Carol Kenyon wrote:

> Douglas Greville wrote that a twin-engine Mosquito could carry a bigger
> payload than a
> four-engine B-17?
> It just so happens that my dad (who lives next
> door) flew both. I'll ask him.
> Don Kenyon

Don, if I recall, I believe the standard payload for the B-17 on a medium
range mission was 6,000lbs, where the Mossie could carry 4,000... but a lot
faster, with greater survivability and only a crew of two to lose if things
went REALLY wrong.

You have to wonder if the money and resources which were poured into the
Heavies had gone into a project like the Mossie. Thousands of them, at high
speed and bombing with pinpoint accuracy...

Geoff